Problem with Holux GR-87 Ant. Conn.

Post all questions and information about the CF-29 in here.
liamw652

Problem with Holux GR-87 Ant. Conn.

#1 Post by liamw652 »

I received the parts to start installing an internal GPS setup.
Everything went fine until I went to connect the antenna to the engine.

When I started to connect them, the copper socket to lock the antenna to the engine came off in my hands. Stop the install. I have a Holux GR-87 engine to install.

Is this a problem with this connection or do I have a fluke.

I am wondering, can I take the shield off carefully, (I have the bottom off and see the four ground solder points on the board) and gently solder the ring to the main body of the connector to get connection and fix this problem. Or do I get a replacement engine.

I need guidance. I know Teo and TB have worked with these before.
PLEASE READS and TOUGHBOOK FAQs AND STICKY'S

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthr ... rce+thread

Bill

CF-29 J/MK3 (Fed) w/ Touch, Internal Wifi, and 160gb SATA HD upgraded to 640gb SATA HD (still running strong with mod)
CF-29 M Touch
CF-30 Mk1 Touch
CF-19 Mk3 Touch

teo

Re: Problem with Holux GR-87 Ant. Conn.

#2 Post by teo »

liamw652 wrote:I received the parts to start installing an internal GPS setup.
Everything went fine until I went to connect the antenna to the engine.

When I started to connect them, the copper socket to lock the antenna to the engine came off in my hands. Stop the install. I have a Holux GR-87 engine to install.

Is this a problem with this connection or do I have a fluke.

I am wondering, can I take the shield off carefully, (I have the bottom off and see the four ground solder points on the board) and gently solder the ring to the main body of the connector to get connection and fix this problem. Or do I get a replacement engine.

I need guidance. I know Teo and TB have worked with these before.

liam.. if you are careful enough, you can solder it back but remember it must be as the same where it came off specially the center pin. This is what Rick are talking about on GR-87 module. if you applied a bit of force to an antena connector when pulling out the male connector it break easily. You must be very carefull but I think you can do it. I used this module on the cf-19 that I sold a month ago. I desolder the antena connector and replace by a u.fl female connector. I've done this only becuase it need to fit on cf-19 gps location.

teo

liamw652

#3 Post by liamw652 »

Thanks Teo. I was going back through the NBR posts to try and find if this had been discussed. There is no damage to the center pin and I intend to be very careful when I resolder the collar. I know hot but minimal heat to complete the solder joint without doing damage.

Thank you Teo.

Bill

CF-29 J/MK3 (Fed) w/ Touch, Internal Wifi, and 160gb SATA HD upgraded to 640gb SATA HD (still running strong with mod)
CF-29 M Touch
CF-30 Mk1 Touch
CF-19 Mk3 Touch

Toughbook

#4 Post by Toughbook »

Well... I've tried two of these Holux GPS engine and my verdict is in.....

I think they are JUNK!

I had the same exact thing happen to me. That brass piece should not have broken off. To me... If the GPS engine is THAT fragile... I won't have it in any of my Toughbooks.... I also think it gets worse reception that the EM-408 coupled with the NEWEST 27dBi patch antenna that Jim Gray now stocks. I have tried various engines and while not conducting rigorous testing... I can still tell you that I have yet to see anything that can beat the EM-408 and the JDG active patch.... Nope... nuh uh... no way Jose.... Can't be done.

Maybe eventually.... But the Holux, to me, is the cheap way out. :blowaway:
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

liamw652

#5 Post by liamw652 »

Thanks TB. :notworthy:
I have come to that same conclusion after attempting to use 1 Holux. :blowaway: Mine broke off while I was attempting to plug in the mmcx connector. After "fluxing" the connector and mount and carefully soldering the connector, my GR-87 appears to be dead as well. I will take partial responsibility for possibly "over-heating" something while re-soldering the mmcx connector.
To have these problems, during primary installation, has lead me to re-search the threads carefully and read past the intial post about the Holux engine and read that MOST everyone now prefers the em408 engine.

We all have to make mistakes in our pursuit to walk on water, I guess.

Bill

CF-29 M Touch
CF-30 Mk1 Touch
CF-19 Mk3 Touch

Azrial

#6 Post by Azrial »

Toughbook wrote:Well... I've tried two of these Holux GPS engine and my verdict is in.....
I think they are JUNK!

I had the same exact thing happen to me. That brass piece should not have broken off. To me... If the GPS engine is THAT fragile... I won't have it in any of my Toughbooks.... ... Maybe eventually.... But the Holux, to me, is the cheap way out. :blowaway:
Well I had to confirm that Rick and I had this exact conversation, over a month ago. Additionally, I really have to concur, a connector that breaks in the act of connecting is too fragile for rugged usage. I would have sent it back rather then tried to repair a manufacturer defect.

Liamw652, sorry that this install is turning into such a boner for you. I had to do mine several times, but looking back, I think that the problems may have been all Win7 related. Since I configured the COM ports manually, my EM408 works great!
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Return to “CF-29 Talk (Discontinued Model)”