Pressure sensitive pens for CF-20, CF-33?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
thewanderlustking

Pressure sensitive pens for CF-20, CF-33?

#1 Post by thewanderlustking »

The end goal is some sort of drawing pen with at least 512 levels of pressure sensitivity. This CF-20 has Windows Ink Workspace and it seems this is an indicator that it supports Microsoft Pen Protocol. If it has this, I can use a Surface pen, which one depends on the version of MPP.

There are Toughbooks that support Wacom pens. But as usual Wacom's website is garbage and while I can see it in the preview, I can't find it on the actual website... Bing's AI said to look for HID Compliant pen, and I have that so apparently this does have MPP, but there was no indication of what version...

It seems that this CF-20 can do it, and that there are multiple Wacom pen options for it too. But deciphering which ones work... I would defiantly prefer a Wacom pen over a Surface one.
CF-3110778CM, CF-19ADUU51M

thewanderlustking

Re: Pressure sensitive pens for CF-20, CF-33?

#2 Post by thewanderlustking »

Wow, so the stylus that comes with the CF-20 actually has some level of pressure sensitivity! It absolutely sucks/feels bad but it is a start and I think I have an idea what I am looking for perhaps... I am going to go dig out a few Wacom pens and see if I can get one of those to work better.
Last edited by thewanderlustking on Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewanderlustking

#3 Post by thewanderlustking »

The main secret is the CF-20 and the CF-33 are both EMR or Electro-magnetic Resonance digitizers. Out of the digitizer technologies out there, EMR is considered the absolute best for drawing. Apparently (no surprise here) it was developed/patented by Wacom. With that said, there are a TON of styli that will work on it. Fortunately, a lot of them are actually REALLY cheap!

My CF-33 came with a generic, single button, EMR pen. It is probably a $5-10 stylus. It works okay, but feels like the $5 garbage it is lol. There is a CRAZY amount of difference in feel between pens and probably more specifically, their nibs.

Wacom pens are about ten steps above everything else. There are a bunch that should work, specifically any that are unpowered are a fair bet. It is a bit tricky to sus out which ones are specifically EMR though. Wacom doesn't like to say this on their USA website it seems, but I found reference to one I was specifically looking at on their Malaysia Facebook page. I am uncertain yet if there are unpowered NON-EMR pens, or powered EMR pens... (Ignore capacitive styli obviously, Wacom actually has at least one of those.)

Anyways, the Wacom Pro Pen 2 is an EMR pen (according to Wacom's Malaysia Facebook). By that assumption the version 1, and the Pro Pen 3 should also be EMR. The 3 is exorbitantly priced for an uncertain bet, but I am watching a few Pro Pen 2 right now on eBay hoping for a steal. They can be gotten new off of Amazon for $80. While still a tad expensive, free Amazon returns makes up for the risk of it not working.

The Staedtler Norris Digital pencil works nicely on both the CF-2- and the CF-33. It is kinda cool, and actually made out of wood! It feels like a normal drawing pencil, and essentially it is just that. It's nib feel is close to something like a 3H. This is on the bare screen of the CF-33. A textured protector would make it feel a little softer I bet. It doesn't have any extra buttons, or eraser sense though.

I haven't poked at it too deeply, but I suspect you could pull the cartridge out, "sharpen it" down to a shorter length, reinsert cartridge (might need to redial the center hole?), and use it in the CF-33 holder. Im super tempted to see if the cartridge tugs out...

And YES IT DOES! With some very small pliers and a gentle twist, it pops the glue free, then pulls right out. You have to slowly drill the hole a little deeper, then sharpen a little, then drill a little... I went a touch too short in the end as it slides out of the flip holder without flipping it open. In this case using a hand sharpener might have been better too, I used a wall mounted one. I finished it with a smaller drill bit and there is a protrusion on the end that sorta locks into the smaller hole. I will us a tab of epoxy to fully secure it and re-strengthen the wood at the tip. I prefer longer drawing pencils, so I'm sorta torn about the mod. I might actually not glue it in yet and see if I have any old drawing pencils about to give it another try. I am pretty likely to have something...

Whatever the case, it was a fun mod and I made it work! And I only paid $18 for new open box from Amazon. I am going to play with this a little more I think!

thewanderlustking

#4 Post by thewanderlustking »

Well big bummer the Wacom Pro Pen 2 doesn’t work.... I need to do some more cross referencing and try to match things up “sideways.” I have a couple other options on the way to play with so we shall see. These seem simple enough internally that I’m sure I can retrofit something else to at least keep the feel of the Wacom pen. But not going to go that route quite yet.

thewanderlustking

#5 Post by thewanderlustking »

The DEFINITIVE ANSWER!

Okay both the CF-20 and CF-33 are Wacom EMR based digitizers (as mentioned above). Wacom has a compatibility list page here. It is a little bit confusing, but look at the Wacom On Pen Display. This is the same EMR tech they ship out for other manufactures. In fact if you look at the LAMY AL-star black EMR Digital Writing pen information, it specifically lists the Toughbooks it works on.

This is a very short list of pens that will work, there are likely a LOT more. But I was specifically after a Wacom pen anyways.

Wacom One Pen (CP91300B2Z)
Hi-Uni Digital Mitsubishi Pencil (CP20206BZ)
STAEDTLER, Noris digital
STAEDTLER Noris digital jumbo
LAMY safari twin pen all black EMR Digital Writing
LAMY AL-star black EMR Digital Writing
Pilot Dr. Grip (CP202A01A/CP202A02A)
THIRDWAVE Mitsubishi 9800 digitizer pen
Galaxy S22 Ultra S pen
King Write MR05
Kaweco AL SPORT Connect EMR

I have verified the STAEDTLER, Noris digital pencil works. I really like it, and am going to get another unmolested one LOL! I REALLY want to put the core into a STAEDTLER Mars 780 2mm graphite holder. I have a FULL set of the vintage German ones labeled with every hardness of lead they make. A full drawing set. Easily $300 invested there. There is nothing else that feels like they do and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE drawing with them! But I don't know if I could stomach tearing a vintage one apart to modify for the core. They still make them, but the new ones feel slightly off. The vintage ones actually weigh 14 grams, the new ones weigh 12.

I may grab a Wacom One Pen, it is cheap enough to try out. But I think out of all the Wacom pens, it really looks cheap... And I wanted one that would first in one of the nice Wacom cases with spare nibs. Obviously, there is still the factory CF-33 pen... It is a bit pricey, but I have spent much more trying to find alternatives. The CF-20 pen is okay, but too small for actual drawing. And the nibs...

Nibs are the BIGGEST reason to upgrade to a Wacom. You can really fine tune how it feels with the right nib. Screen protectors too can play a big part.

Well I got my CF-20 for its compactness and tablet mode. I didn't get it to be a drawing tablet. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole there, and that's the sole reason I grabbed the CF-33. For my intended usage, a tablet/pc all in one option makes more sense than drawing monitor plugged into a computer. Even using a laptop, I loose a lot of portability there.

But I am also wondering what (if anything) I am giving away with this setup? Years ago I had a Wacom drawing pad, and I loved it. But it wasn't a drawing monitor and it wasn't as immersive of an experience. It actually wasn't worth the effort to setup for the simpler photography stuff I was usually using it for. And it felt off for actual drawing and wasn't fun to use there. Anyways during my hunting and cross referencing, I put in a low bid on a fairly nice Wacom Drawing monitor that I now have some pens for... And I surprisingly got it! The advantage of shopping for items on eBay that won't make it by Christmas, before Christmas. No competition. So I am going to try a proper Wacom setup out and see how it compares to the Toughbook system.

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”