Debian 12 (Bookworm) has been released.

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Michael AU

Debian 12 (Bookworm) has been released.

#1 Post by Michael AU »

If it wasn't for YouTube I wouldn't have known that Debian 12 Bookworm has been released. I'll try it out on some machines in the coming weeks. x86 appears to only be available as a netinst (small installer that downloads packages as required after booting) which is fine if you have a decent internet connection. X86-64 available in the usual formats.
CF-29 x 3 (Debian (Rugged) 11, FreeDOS 1.2, Windows 7)
CF-30 (Debian 11, Windows 10)
CF-31SBLAX1M (Debian 11, Windows 10)
CF-D1 (Debian 11, Windows 10, trying BlissOS)
Never give up, never surrender!

kode-niner

Re: Debian 12 (Bookworm) has been released.

#2 Post by kode-niner »

I didn't here about it either. I will probably attempt an 11 to 12 upgrade on one of my less critical devices then see what breaks. I wouldn't ever do that to a server but with a desktop computer I've been usually successful.
Daily drives a CF-31

Michael AU

#3 Post by Michael AU »

I usually try an upgrade on 1 machine to see if it is manageable otherwise it is a clean install. I have 1 web server and it will be a clean install though.

mklym

#4 Post by mklym »

I am wondering if anyone has tried to install Linux along side W11. I have seen this on the MX forum:

Code: Select all

You can't dual boot MX with an OEM install of Windows 11. Win 11 will only boot and run with Secure Boot and BitLocker enabled. 
On the other hand, you cannot install MX on a Bitlocker encrypted disk and MX will not boot with Secure Boot enabled.

Code: Select all

i am not sure whether i got that right. does this mean i cannot install mx linux on a drive with windows 11 already preinstalled, 
so it will work and i can select mx linux or windows from a boot menu? in other words, do i have to decide either to continue using windows 
on that drive or to install mx linux which means windows would be deleted or at least cannot boot any more? "Yes"
MS would not do anything to restrict/disallow other operating systems from being installed and running on the same computer, would they?
Must just be a glitch. I am sure MS will deploy a fix/patch.

How are you liking Bookworm, Michael AU?
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Michael AU

#5 Post by Michael AU »

mklym wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:40 am I am wondering if anyone has tried to install Linux along side W11. I have seen this on the MX forum:

MS would not do anything to restrict/disallow other operating systems from being installed and running on the same computer, would they?
Must just be a glitch. I am sure MS will deploy a fix/patch.
I haven't tried dual booting yet but none of my machines are natively Windows 11 capable. It is possible to install Windows 11 on non Windows 11 capable machines using Rufus. I have school holidays coming up in 4 weeks and I am going to spend a day setting up my 31 to dual boot Windows 11 and Debian 12.
mklym wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:40 amHow are you liking Bookworm, Michael AU?
It's ok. It isn't a great leap forward from Buster like Squeeze was from Lenny but the kernel is better if you do an expert install and only install the required modules. Non-free firmware is available on the normal install disc now but still has to be enabled during install. I'm using MATE so the other variants may be noticeably different.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”