CF-29NTQGZBM Linux Mint Mate 17.3 Issues

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
AKnReaper

Re: CF-29NTQGZBM Linux Mint Mate 17.3 Issues

#21 Post by AKnReaper »

Ok so on the sound, if I remember correctly it was muted before I installed it. I have the recovery disks somewhere, moved this last year so the can be ANYWHERE (ugh).

Now for the eth1 is what it comes up with every time I run the command.

After some thought, I am wondering if I pick up a new HDD and run XP on one side and linux on the other would it also cure the other problems.

Here is the end game I want for this computer is as follows.

Email
Office (word, excel, ppt, publisher)
Programming HAM Radios etc
Internet
Photo Editing
Light Video Editing
Wireless Printing to my wireless printer.

Would Like to add:
GPS with mapping software
Bluethooh (maybe)

This is to give you an idea where this is all going. If I cannot get Linux of any form to do these tasks than maybe I will have to upgarde to Win 7 (blah), I do really appericate the help so far guys rock.

AKnReaper

SHEEPMAN!

#22 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Pick up a smallish 20-60 hdd w/caddy and install xp on it with the idea it never goes online.....this is for radio....and maybe mapping. Or use your present hdd.

For your everyday user I suggest a SSD on a techtuff adapter running Linux of your choice....build and learn with GPS. Again radio is not Linux best feature. I don't do HAM I run the narrow band fire service frequencies. I use a CF-27 pure DOS for the old H.T.s.(HT-1000) and MK-3 CF-30 W7 for the USB capable radios...Motorola 1250 etc.

W7 will not be any advantage....wanting to upgrade every 20 seconds and etc.

But that's just me wanting to use the stuff at the ranch. Five trips to town already this year and that's enough.

I have all this stuff except the techtuff adapter and the ssd. :)
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

AKnReaper

#23 Post by AKnReaper »

I was just thinking of the hassle with drivers mostly lol. That and MS trying to force me to win 10 was the final straw. Overall I like win7 but this machine is not going to be used for much else. Just field use. My asus will be for school and any gaming if I ever get back into it.

AKnReaper

#24 Post by AKnReaper »

Btw isn't there a gps unit that the cf-29s came installed with?

SHEEPMAN!

#25 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Wireless ready toughbooks had gps on a sled. The Z says yours is not one of them.

We are several decades past that. :) but it is extremely doable. My assortment includes all the parts and pieces.

You need another toughbook to tear into. You could take a MK1 tear it apart and put the sled in your MK5. Or a 2,3,4,5????? One of each?
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

UNCNDL1

#26 Post by UNCNDL1 »

SSD is the way to go, as NO moving parts and better reliability. You might want to consider a CF-30 or a CF-19 that can natively use the SSD, without an adaptor. Follow Sadlmkr's lead on one hard drive for the radio stuff, one that never goes online using XP...and one hard drive that uses Linux for everything else. This will either bury you or set you free. Enjoy!
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

AKnReaper

#27 Post by AKnReaper »

Ok I'm back, I've been busy this past week with disaster drills all week. So I went and bought a SSD 120gb one (I was going to reload xp than portion it with the rest Linux, and I also got a usb wifi thumb drive adapter; but as luck would have it Murphy had other plans. 1st off the SSD drive was a sata not an ide, soooo there is that, and I thought I had had my recovery discs but noooo, still packed somewhere. So, a couple of other questions have been raised since however.

1. I did find my old xp home edition, can I install that to get the sound and drivers for my toughbook and partition it with Linux and still make the sound work and what not.

2. How dose one install downloaded drivers? I can get them extracted and point the terminal to the folder, however I can not get Linux to actually find it to install.

AK

Shawn

#28 Post by Shawn »

Be careful mixing Linux with Windows drivers. That is the same as mixing eggs and watermelon.
Life will beat you into submission.

AKnReaper

#29 Post by AKnReaper »

Sweet thanks! Mostly to see if I can get that stupid kernel wrap thing to work... Oh and to turn on the sound lol.

Shawn

#30 Post by Shawn »

Most Linux works out of the box without needing to download drivers.
Other than GPS and odd stuff like that. Sound should work right away in Linux.
Life will beat you into submission.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”