Recommendations on OS

Post all questions and information about the CF-29 in here.
Grim

Recommendations on OS

#1 Post by Grim »

Ok so I ended up getting a MK5. I swapped my components out of my my MK3, to get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH :blowaway: :doh: After investigationg out the issue, I come to find out I need to reinstall the OS. Simple enough usually... The cruel joke is I do not have my old copy of Win XP Pro SP1 laying around. This however gives me a few options.

I can either:
  • 1) Buy a copy of Win XP Pro SP2
    2) Buy a copy of Win 7 Premium or Win 7 Pro
    3) Download a copy of Ubuntu
This leads me to a few questions however:
  • 1) I haven't figured out weather or not the CF-29 use 32 or 64 bit OS, or if it matters which one.
    • 1a) Which would be recommended?
    2) Is there any benifit to running Win 7?
    • 2a) There again 32 or 64 bit.
      2b) Win 7 Premium or Win 7 Pro?
    3) What is the combatability of Ubuntu with existing software? i.e. MS Office etc?
Where can I locate a Recovery Disk or download a recovery disk for my model: CF-29NTQGZBM

Thanks in advance.

Grim

ADOR

Re: Recommendations on OS

#2 Post by ADOR »

The CF-29's use a Pentium M, that is a 32 bit only processor.

Personally I dual booted XP with Ubuntu. If you use Linux and want to run windows programs you will need WINE. Ubuntu comes with open office a windows office alternative. Ubuntu 10.10 worked really well I haven't really tried any of the newer versions on it.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... rsion.html

Windows 7 will work but will use more resources to run than XP unless you tweak it, that goes for drivers as well.

I am sure someone can point you in the right direction for restore disks. If now do you have anyother OEM restore disks lying around?

The BSOD was caused by chip-set being different this model uses DDR2 ram, an upgrade from Mk3 and older DDR ram. You could try un-installing the chipset driver and other specific drivers that deal with cpu, etc. Then when windows start looking quickly power off and swap to the newer CF-29. Intel 855GME Mk3 vs Intel 915GMS on the and video. I have had this work on some pc's since you are still using a Pentium M in the same family. When too much hardware changes windows anti-piracy kicks in and BSOD.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

mac1_131

Re: Recommendations on OS

#3 Post by mac1_131 »

restore disks available on eBay for around $40

do you have a COA on the bottom for XP? that may mean you don't have to pay again and just find an XP Pro SP2 disk from someone, load it up, use your COA and then download the drivers from the panasonic web site (free)

that's the cheapest route - $0 if you have the COA and can find a XP cdrom

it does take a little work to get each driver properly installed manually, but it's not too hard

Windows 7 works pretty good, I would suggest Windows 7 Professional, I really doubt you need ulitmate. It too is not too hard to get going, but you need to download the Vista upgrade drivers from the panasonic web site and manually install those too. You can find Windows 7 Pro for around $99 a copy

that's the benefit if the real restore CDs, you don't have to mess with getting the drivers right

I would imagine getting all the drivers working is even harder with linux - I am sure you can get most of them working good enuf with some work

hope that helps. I have a CF-29 running XP Pro, one running Windows 7 ultimate, one running Windows 7 Pro, and one running Windows 8 pre-release. they all work good!

Return to “CF-29 Talk (Discontinued Model)”