CF-33 Touchscreen issues???

Post all questions and information about the CF-33 in here. (Yes, Panasonic skipped the "CF-32 model" and went straight to CF-33 just to be a pain...)
thewanderlustking

CF-33 Touchscreen issues???

#1 Post by thewanderlustking »

I think this CF-33 has a bad touchscreen. It is a CF-33AFPEJVM It is pretty well speced out with the i57300U at 2.6GHz, 16 GB, and a 512 GB SSD. It is running Windows11 Pro 64bit.

I have a dead vertical band that starts about an inch from the left side, goes about an inch to an inch and a half, and then the rest of the screen is fine. This is only for touch and not the stylus. Problem is the first two rows, ESC, Q, don't work on the keyboard with touch input. I might not have noticed this, if it had come with a keyboard. But I found a nice one (looking anyways) I could afford without one. Since I wanted it primarily for a drawing tablet, I was okay with this.

I have tried to calibrate it a few times, it goes well as all the target points are outside of this dead band, but the pen input does actually seem off around the mille 2/3 of the screen. I calibrated the two inputs separately.

Anyways, I just got this from eBay and I am hoping it is an easy fix, and not a bad touchscreen. If it is bad, I need to let the seller know. Any ideas for fixing, or proving???

This is the touch input in Black. I expected it to be a more defined cutoff line, but it seemed to be speed dependent and I kept opening the side menus too... The bottom right corner kept dropping out also. Could be user error, but it felt like it wasn't "sticking" if that makes sense?

8CA642AD-21F1-4FA6-9410-D4BC123C02EF.jpeg
8CA642AD-21F1-4FA6-9410-D4BC123C02EF.jpeg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 1918 times

The red is the pen input. I am just using Microsoft white pages at the moment.

AC90A7D3-E756-43DE-BD88-F692ED8B06CA.jpeg
AC90A7D3-E756-43DE-BD88-F692ED8B06CA.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 1918 times
CF-3110778CM, CF-19ADUU51M

ADOR

Re: CF-33 Touchscreen issues???

#2 Post by ADOR »

Personally It's the first time I have seen or heard about this on a pc in general. Usually if it was a bad touch screen it was the whole thing. Either it worked or it didn't. Being this is a dual touch model. We can see the digitizer is working fine. Maybe we can just focus on the brand/type of touch screen that is on this one. I think most of the older toughbooks used fujitsu touch pannels.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

thewanderlustking

#3 Post by thewanderlustking »

Well the lcd has a couple bright spots. I managed to get a stripped down MK1 (I guess lol, earlier/slower processor) coming for cheap with a keyboard for about what just a keyboard goes for. Seller specifically stated 100% perfect screen no bright spots, blemishes, or scratches. Unfortunately no batteries and I think one of mine is bad...

So I have a backup plan. But hey if I can fix this one, I will have two lol! What you think I should go looking for Ador? I agree, this is an odd one. Hardware wise it looks like a section of the touvhscreen went out. I have seen this happed on panels with the pressure contact strips. I’m sure this has a clipped in ribbon cable 5ough. Could still be a bad connection or solder joint though.

I haven’t opened it up yet, and am mildly concerned. Not even Bob Johnson has a tear down video. No pictures. And I only found one full front assembly on eBay. It looks doable looking through those pictures...

Hopefully I can disassemble it enough to get at it, but still power it back up.

thewanderlustking

#4 Post by thewanderlustking »

Well the replacement parts machine is here. It is fairly nice. It has a bios password that I tried resetting for giggles. The model number forward, backward, forward, reboot, last 5 of serial number didn't work... I might try a couple more times, I need to verify model and serial number with it booted up. But it is going to end up in the parts pile anyways so it is just an amusement. It has the charge port cover on the tablet that I am missing on the one I am fixing, and the screen is way nicer. Everything works, touch, digitizer, and the digitizer is way more accurate too. No blemishes. A slight backlighting irregularity at the bottom, but I suspect they all do that.

The keyboard is missing a couple port covers, but it is the red backlighted premium keyboard. Although I have never actually seen a "non" premium part number, so I almost suspect they are all "premium". Looks like it will take about an hour to swap it all over.

Return to “CF-33 Talk (Current Model)”