Failing Backlight Observations - W7 - MX21.1

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
mklym

Failing Backlight Observations - W7 - MX21.1

#1 Post by mklym »

I have a mk2 that the backlight is going to die..soon. It is dim and can be seen flickering. When I run w7 the screen functions normal, dims after set period of time, blacks at set time, etc. It will run for days before the backlight fails and the screen goes black. Using a flashlight I can shut down and hook an external monitor to the 30 and get back to what I was doing.
When I put in the caddy with MX21.1 Linux I have a couple minutes, tops, before the backlight fails. Hook up an external monitor and good to go, but why the huge difference in run time before the bl fails? It must have to do with the drivers. I knew ms video drivers were much better than Linux video drivers, generally, but that is amazing. Linux seems to have a hard time with displays. It can't seem to do blanking and resume without issues. Some distros/units are ok while others have major problems . No consistency.

Anyone else notice this disparity?

Is it possible that running Linux on our laptops is taking large amounts of life out of our displays?
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

ADOR

Re: Failing Backlight Observations - W7 - MX21.1

#2 Post by ADOR »

How many hours is it displaying in the Bios?
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

mklym

#3 Post by mklym »

15400 hours, but I don't see how that matters regarding how long the bl works with w7 as compared to MX21.1, or am I missing something?
After using it earlier, and having the bl fail, I booted the unit and the bl is working fine...in w7.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

The earlier toughbook once the bulb starts getting old, the screen will have a red hew to it usually before going out. The 30 model never got the LED lights from the factory. All the 31 models did, and the 19 starting with the MK3.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”