CF-18 GPS kit

Post all questions and information about the CF-18 in here.
nine

Re: CF-18 GPS kit

#11 Post by nine »

been waiting for this! Order placed

nine
nine

Toughbooks, I have a few :)

rcx

#12 Post by rcx »

I have a CF-18 "early" mk1 and am considering purchasing this GPS kit, but I have a few questions basted on the item descriptions at custom-toughbooks.com.
  • What are the Bluetooth specs? It's still a little early yet for v3.0 HS, but hopefully it is at least a v2.1 + EDR *?
  • Is the Bluetooth module integrated on the board, or is it a mini-USB module that would use the USB port on the board (similar to the CF-29 kit)?
  • Can the Panasonic-installed Bluetooth antenna present in the CF-18 be hooked up as the antenna for this Bluetooth module?
Thank you!

* Engadget article on the new 3.0 Bluetooth standard

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#13 Post by toughasnails »

•Is the Bluetooth module integrated on the board, or is it a mini-USB module that would use the USB port on the board (similar to the CF-29 kit)?
If you check outhttp://www.custom-toughbooks.com/index. ... aea4e8f4df it uses the usb port. Check out the pic. He is a member here so send him a PM and he will be able to help you out.
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
Last edited by toughasnails on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

custom-toughbooks

#14 Post by custom-toughbooks »

The included bluetooth is v. 2.0
It is not a chipset integrated on the PCB, but a separate USB module, as you can see on the above picture.
If you want better specs on the bluetooth, just replace it with a bluetooth module of your choice.

Azrial

#15 Post by Azrial »

Will your CF-29 kit be upgraded to use this new 50 Channel GPS board that you use in this one?
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

custom-toughbooks

#16 Post by custom-toughbooks »

I am working on it actually, I will post more details when I have the prototype ready....

teo

#17 Post by teo »

Here is my final review with this kit with all the components hardware included on this kit. The installation was straight forward easy to do specially those who are at minimum level of skill. This unit has default baudrate of 9,600. But it can be adjusted to 4,800baudrate permanently or back & forth. On my area at ground floor level of my apartment on which also sorrounded with an apartment building I can fix 3-4 satellite in a few seconds. I can't compute how many seconds as I already stuck/(rusty) on cutting fish, Lol. I've already forgot the right formula on computing the electrical transient (need a thourough review on academic). On the outside of my little porch I acquired 7 satellite fixed almost instantly and i can compared it to em408, holux, sanav, mtk, gstar and delou on which this u-blox is more faster to acquire a satellite signal. All of the mentioned gps module, I had on hand before thats why I can tell which of those are faster to acquire a signal. On a moving vehicle: In a open area, I will say it is the way to go. the signal never drop down to the lowest instead it acquired more and more signal from the satellite. On an urban area(downtown Vancouver), it is also capable of retaining its good signal and it drop down to only 2-3level of it signal level from 35-40.

The gps module manufacturer has there own utility to use and its way way better than other gps viewer utility that I have used before. Other gps viwer like the navigator, gpsviewer and the like don't like it. It will give some error. I don't know the other viewer right there but as to what I've mentioned. Its all rejected. Only u-blox utility can be use as far as I know. The utility include your direction, altitude, your position, your speed and much much more. i am not yet finnish experimenting this utility as i am busy on my day job and few toughbook to work on. For futher info of the module you can go manufacturer website and download the complete pdf file for your reference.

I used the MS street and trips and delorme atlas for navigation at 4,800 baudrate without any hitch or problem. So, I can assume that it will be fine to use those navigational software for much longer period of time on the road or whatever. I don't know the other software as I don't have those but I can say it will be safe also.

Bluettoth: the bluetooth range from 5 to 10 meter distance as it was eclosed to a magnesium case. All the bluetooth accessories like your phone, mouse, keyboard and others will only be ideal to the distance mentioned.

This review was only based on to what I have experienced and the testing result that I have conducted on to this kit. This is only a reference and info. I am not responsible to any damaged to property ot anything involved due to irresponsible used of the said equiptment. Thank you.

PS. Accuracy: I never yet tested the accuracy of this unit so, I will lay it down to you guys.

teo
Last edited by teo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomcat57

#18 Post by tomcat57 »

Good review Teo, thanks
Nine, do you have anything to add ?

Alex

nine

#19 Post by nine »

I don't have much to add. The u-blox is _the_ GPS chipset to have at the moment. Great sensitivity, and it will do Galileo if it ever goes operational. Sitting inside, I currently have a HDOP of 1.0m

With the configuration utility, you can set just about anything you want, including changing the update rate to 5 Hz. I'm running it through GPSgate at 57.6kbps, and it works with all my GPS software.

install was easy, although I did have a problem with windows recognizing the Bluetooth receiver at first. Ended up having to install the bluetooth while windows was running in order for it to be recognized. Since I don't really have a use for bluetooth right now, and I couldn't seem to turn it off without also turning off the GPS, I eneded up pulling it. I'm trying to come up with something interesting to install in its place, maybe my USB spectrum analyser....

nine
nine

Toughbooks, I have a few :)

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#20 Post by toughasnails »

CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Return to “CF-18 Talk (Discontinued Model)”