linux gps map software

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

Re: linux gps map software

#21 Post by mklym »

Okay, I was looking through the navit.xml you added the custom osd section to, and I see a couple of custom osd entries for zoom in and out. Do I still need to enable the 2 osd line you posted above, or go with what you supplied? Thanks.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

mklym

#22 Post by mklym »

I guess I should have checked first. The zoom in and out buttons work great but the icon to move the map up, down, left and right does nothing. I will look at the xml file again. This is looking good. Thanks.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

kode-niner

#23 Post by kode-niner »

Yeah, I'm sorry I should have said that my edits included the zoom buttons for you without you needing to enable the others from my other post. My version places them on the right side of the screen, while the others placed them at the bottom. That other button with the 4 arrow-like icon is the gui_fullscreen toggle. I included it in case it works for you. It's a bit weird on my system, though. It will go full screen but won't toggle back to windowed mode. As for scrolling the map, you could use the keyboard's arrow keys. If you are running this on a Toughbook and have the touchscreen configured with my right-click mods in xorg, you can drag the map around but you need to first touch the screen for a second before moving it so it doesn't register as a tap and send you to the config screen. Works better with the pen or a finger nail in my case.

Essentially, navit could be configured to be very touchscreen-friendly which is great for us.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#24 Post by mklym »

No worries man, I got it figured. The full-screen icon works the same on mine as your unit, click it and you are full-screen, click it again and.....you are full-screen. I have to go into the settings->display and click the 'window mode' icon to get out of full-screen. Okay, got the map scrolling figured as well, keyboard arrows or stylus touch-hold-move (I have used your right-click mods since you posted them). Thank you.
Now if I had some fuel, I would go for a drive and see it all in action. :doh:

kode-niner

#25 Post by kode-niner »

Heh, wait until you dabble with turn by turn navigation and speech synthesis.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#26 Post by mklym »

Ya, I plan to give those a try. Thank you for all the help. Very much appreciated. :salute:

mklym

#27 Post by mklym »

I went on a road trip today, couple hours one way. Navit performed well and your custom OSD were nice to use. The only thing that doesn't seem to work well is the speed OSD readout. Holding a steady 115 on the highway, the readout bounces around...105, 118, 119, 111, 115, etc. The closest it gets to displaying a steady speed is when is settles down for a few seconds, displaying 114, 115 ,114, 115, then it goes back to large jumps in speed. Is there anyway to increase the accuracy of the speed readout? Overall, very happy with the program. Thanks for pointing it out kode-niner.

kode-niner

#28 Post by kode-niner »

I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust that in software. The speed is very accurate on my system, though. It only goes bananas when I have less than optimal GPS lock or test it indoors. When the bar graphic OSD shows that I get 6 or more sat locks the speedo is dead on.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#29 Post by mklym »

That is strange. The OSD showed all green bars, locked onto 9/12 for the whole trip.

I thought it might be the program because when I swapped in the caddy with W7 and S&T2K13, the speed didn't jump around like it did in Navit. I am using a stock GPS unit, FYI.

kode-niner

#30 Post by kode-niner »

Strange. I'll look into it. Mine is CF-30 OEM.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind having one in my CF-19. There are a few times when I was mapping networks outdoors that it would have come in handy. One of these days I'll have to find a good deal on a UBLOX6.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”