Mint 17 on a CF-18 Mk3 restarts to a black screen

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Mobus

Re: Mint 17 on a CF-18 Mk3 restarts to a black screen

#21 Post by Mobus »

It's difficult to catch, but some text zips by really quick before it goes black. I managed to see 'could not get the system bus' flash by. This could be why it won't restart and just drops. The OS packs up and goes home and the hardware sits there waiting for something to happen.

UNCNDL1

#22 Post by UNCNDL1 »

One way to view the last 10 device files is this:
Run the command $ ls -lrtd /dev/*|tail -10
When I get home, I'll run it in Terminal and make sure It works
Also, I have a question: What happens if/when you use "shutdown" instead of "re-start"??
Does it shut down properly then? :salute:
Last edited by UNCNDL1 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

SHEEPMAN!

#23 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

kode-niner wrote:Reverse engineering is fun. If I could, I'd either install Mint 17 on some hard drive I have around here or actually boot from a live CD, if possible. I just need to take a peek under the hood. Either there's a menu editor GUI that would allow me to inspect the Restart menu item or there's a plain text or XML file that stores the menu entries somewhere. Just need to dig around a bit. Then we could finally know what the Restart button is precisely doing.

As far as CF-29 and PAE goes, both my MK3 and MK5 are currently running PAE kernels. I think all the Pentium Mobile 700 series have no issues with the PAE flag.

Updated my location info. ;)
hmmmph...... Not arguing I probably didn't try MK3, When MK1 wouldn't play I installed the PAE programs in a MK4 or 5 then swapped the drive to MK1. (29's all)
Maybe Cleve will send you one of those pink usb sticks w/32bit on it......the cardboard dvd envelopes he has are cool too.....he said he was watching this discussion. :rolleyes:
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

UNCNDL1

#24 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Sadlmkr wrote:
kode-niner wrote:Reverse engineering is fun. If I could, I'd either install Mint 17 on some hard drive I have around here or actually boot from a live CD, if possible. I just need to take a peek under the hood. Either there's a menu editor GUI that would allow me to inspect the Restart menu item or there's a plain text or XML file that stores the menu entries somewhere. Just need to dig around a bit. Then we could finally know what the Restart button is precisely doing.
As far as CF-29 and PAE goes, both my MK3 and MK5 are currently running PAE kernels. I think all the Pentium Mobile 700 series have no issues with the PAE flag.
Updated my location info. ;)
hmmmph...... Not arguing I probably didn't try MK3, When MK1 wouldn't play I installed the PAE programs in a MK4 or 5 then swapped the drive to MK1. (29's all)
Maybe Cleve will send you one of those pink usb sticks w/32bit on it......the cardboard dvd envelopes he has are cool too.....he said he was watching this discussion. :rolleyes:
Surely, I will send an ISO on DVD or USB to anyone having a problem making a bootable Linux "live" ISO. Just name your flavour... :pat:
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

SHEEPMAN!

#25 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Mobus wrote:It's difficult to catch, but some text zips by really quick before it goes black. I managed to see 'could not get the system bus' flash by. This could be why it won't restart and just drops. The OS packs up and goes home and the hardware sits there waiting for something to happen.
system bus .....where did I read that yesterday :doh:
the hardware waiting for something to happen rings a bell too....

stumbling on........

surely cinnamon cause it's hardest. (busier?complicateder??sic) THANKS CLEVE

Mobus

#26 Post by Mobus »

UNCNDL1 wrote:One way to view the last 10 device files is this:
Run the command $ ls -lrtd /dev/*|tail -10
When I get home, I'll run it in Terminal and make sure It works
Also, I have a question: What happens if/when you use "shutdown" instead of "re-start"??
Does it shut down properly then? :salute:
Regular shutdown is fine. OS closes up and machine powers down. Problem is when you select restart instead of shut down. If you issue 'sudo reboot' in terminal it will reboot like any other PC. It's a strange thing considering it will reboot normally from terminal but not from the shutdown menu selection. If I have time this weekend I may try to burn some other live versions and see if the problem exists with any of those. The thing is it did this restart hang with Ubuntu 10.10 also so I'll be pleasantly surprised if something else solves it.

SHEEPMAN!

#27 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

From my MK3 CF-29 Mint 17
SSD installing latest updates now.
Restart works fine...
I notice key presses are a little laggy.
Had one black screen hang when returning from [ctrl][alt][F1] using [ctrl][alt][F7] ummm might have done it twice...startx worked once, needed to hard boot once.
Cinny is a little hungry for this machine, quick enuf with the ssd but you can see it's struggling.
Cleve, that debian you put on 52gun....what was that?
XFCE is a little less hungry than Cinnamon if you insist on 17.
The strange part is it hung with you on 10.10. What was that about? (asking myself) Is it waiting for wireless? Ummm do you have anything plugged in? Like a mouse?
Sorry...scattered thinking here. Situation normal.

Mobus

#28 Post by Mobus »

Sadlmkr wrote:From my MK3 CF-29 Mint 17
SSD installing latest updates now.
Restart works fine...
I notice key presses are a little laggy.
Had one black screen hang when returning from [ctrl][alt][F1] using [ctrl][alt][F7] ummm might have done it twice...startx worked once, needed to hard boot once.
Cinny is a little hungry for this machine, quick enuf with the ssd but you can see it's struggling.
Cleve, that debian you put on 52gun....what was that?
XFCE is a little less hungry than Cinnamon if you insist on 17.
The strange part is it hung with you on 10.10. What was that about? (asking myself) Is it waiting for wireless? Ummm do you have anything plugged in? Like a mouse?
Sorry...scattered thinking here. Situation normal.
no accessories just what it has onboard. I may try XFCE as a live disc and see what happens during the tryout. I don't have anything important on this thing yet so if everything works and I decide to switch I'm not losing much of anything. Thanks for the research on this I was starting to feel a bit lost on my own.

SHEEPMAN!

#29 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

Read this when you have time. I'm down past the ssd right now.
I wrote this post three or more times and crashed each time ===crashed = pushed the wrong key. Good teacher here.

Quitting while I'm ahead and it's time for dinner. :D

kode-niner

#30 Post by kode-niner »

Sadlmkr wrote:hmmmph...... Not arguing I probably didn't try MK3, When MK1 wouldn't play I installed the PAE programs in a MK4 or 5 then swapped the drive to MK1. (29's all)
Hahaha, how did this conversation turn to PAE anyway? I have no PAE flag problem at all. Anyway, later today I'm going to examine the Restart button in Cinnamon and get some answers.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”