CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX /

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
UNCNDL1

Re: CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX / Mint 9 Project/ Question(s

#11 Post by UNCNDL1 »

CF-28 update. I just purchased a Buy it Now deal: 4 CF-28 hard drive caddy's for $30. Ad said NO hard drives, but, the caddies did have 30 GB hard drives installed. Now you're talking! I'll be able to try out different operating systems now and report back.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

UNCNDL1

Re: CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX / TS Calibration Question

#12 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I have an older version of Navigatrix loaded on the CF-28, 0.4.1202
and xinput_calibrator comes preloaded. When this is run in terminal, the output looks like this:

tank@tank-laptop:~$ xinput_calibrator
Calibrating EVDEV driver for "LBPS/2 Fujitsu Lifebook TouchScreen" id=11
current calibration values (from XInput): min_x=152, max_x=3840 and min_y=318, max_y=3859

Doing dynamic recalibration:
Setting new calibration data: 159, 3834, 315, 3859

--> Making the calibration permanent <--
Install the 'xinput' tool and copy the command(s) below in a script that starts with your X session
xinput set-int-prop "LBPS/2 Fujitsu Lifebook TouchScreen" "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 159 3834 315 3859
tank@tank-laptop:~$
Which is different from this posting: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1960
Jeff's output from that post is this:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "calibration"
MatchProduct "Fujitsu Component USB Touch Panel"
Option "Calibration" "303 4000 258 3917"
Option "SwapAxes" "0"
EndSection

My question is in regards to my output when xinput_calibrator runs, as besides my four sets of numbers, there is a "32" in front of the other four cal values. Hmmmmmm? i.e. mine does not have Section, end of section, etc. PS, my version of xinput = 1.5.0
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

Re: CF-28SUJGVKKM

#13 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Continuing my exploration for other operating systems that will run on a P3 CF-28, I came across this article:
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/watt ... an-greenie
It's a good review, the system recently switched from Ubuntu to Debian, whatever that entails. Their website is here:
http://www.planetwatt.com/blogs/1/20/wa ... d-and-info
I loaded up the R8(release #8) of MicroWatt, which is very spartan. From their site: There are three flavors included in this release. wattOS Mate’ edition, LXDE edition, and the Microwatt edition (running openbox this time around). The Mate’ and LXDE version include 32 and 64bit and the Microwatt is 32bit only.
The live disk ran on the 28, so I installed it this morning before work. It takes a while to load via disk, however once installs, it is a pleasure to use. The main menu pops up with a right click on the screen, or you can also get there by Windows "super Key" and space bar. It found my wireless home network, and allowed me to connect seamlessly and painlessly (some distributions are not so friendly).
It is based on Debian 7 "Wheezy" (where do they get these names?) and is similar to #CrunchBang. The microwatt version is very spartan, but it can surf the internet and view pdf files. It can be added onto to flesh it out to your liking. The search engine is duck duck go, a streamlined pleasure to work with: https://duckduckgo.com The browser is simple but gets the job done: http://www.qupzilla.com/
I'm learning to tweak the desktop to my liking, and for now do not feel the need to look for another operating system to work with the CF-28 as this newest release of MicroWattOSR8 does it just fine.
Cool Beans!
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

Re: CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX /

#14 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I know not many will be interested in this, however MicroWatt does work well on the CF-28 and M34, and I thought I'd post this new link from their blog:
http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=237.0
Basically, there is going to be a new release soon called R9, for those not wanting to go to the link here is the basic information: R9 Information
"December 01, 2014, 04:30:01 AM »
Hi all,

Thought I would share some early wattOS R9 information. Here is what I can tell you today.

1. wattOS R9 will be based on Debian Jessie. It is frozen now, and I have been testing for a while with good results.
2. wattOS R9 will have an LXDE and Mate' version with both 32bit and 64bit versions. (briefly looked at Cinnamon, but seemed a little to heavy)
3. There will be a microwatt version, but the details of that are not settled yet as there is more testing to do (and information). It will be 32bit only and be focused on old hardware/small footprint
4. The application list (core apps) will be forthcoming soon. (days not weeks from now)
5. The target release is late December or early January.
6. Its not clear if the upgrade path from R8 to R9 will be "rolling release" like Debian normally is, or new type install as in the past (with ubuntu upstream). I have been testing R8 to Jessie paths, and there is more work to do as early testing has resulted in breakage and dependency issues..... Obviously the desired path for some would be to execute an upgrade path with a script or simple commands rather than a reinstall, but no promises yet. "
BTW, R8 MicroWatt works well in both the CF-28 and the M34, both older P3 ToughBooks that are still going strong. If anyone wants a iso to try, it fits on a cd and I'd be glad to send one to you to try out.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#15 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Still waiting for MicroWattR9 to come out, however something interesting happened today while swapping out an IDE hard drive in my CF-18 for one of Kerry/Morgan's mSATA SSD converters. That worked fine in the CF-18! I took the 18's IDE drive and popped it into a spare CF-28 caddy (has Navigatrix 0.5 June 2014 loaded), and put it into the 28. She booted up and now Navigatrix 0.5 is loaded and running fine on the CF-28. Weird, as loading this June version of 0.5, as well as the August version did NOT work previously on this CF-28. Here I thought only MicroWatt R8 and Navigatrix 0.4 were the only two that worked well on this little 28, but now I find a work-a-round for a newer version of Navigatrix which is based on Ubuntu 14.04.
I know not many are using the 28's, but this baby is charged and on the net typing this post. Thank you for the idea of swapping drives goes to Sadlmkr on the Left Coast!
Cheers
:cheers:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

ADOR

#16 Post by ADOR »

Good to know!
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

mklym

#17 Post by mklym »

Glad to hear the mSATA adapters worked out. They should work fine in any IDE unit. With Linux you should be able to run trim on the ssd, from a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo fstrim -v /
Does the hdd activity light work with those adapters?

And thanks for the update. :salute:
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

UNCNDL1

#18 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Morgan, I was just reviewing this post, and see that I did NOT answer your question, Sorry! I'll have to pull out that drive/caddy that fits in the CF-18 and try to answer your question regarding the activity lite, etc...
On another note regarding the CF-28 and operating systems that load and work well:
I just loaded a Debian Stable version we've mentioned elsewhere, MX-14 PAE on my CF-28 found here: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx/
Loaded with a disk and installed the system, ran updates, followed by MX-Package Installer to add the newest version of FireFox 38.0.1.
Then I went to menu>MX Flash Manager>Adobe Flash Update and ran the update also.
I went to the Freedesktop site: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... alibrator/
Downloaded the Debian Package from that link for Xinput-Calibrator, and then used the G-debi package installer to add the program.
Now the Calibrate Touchscreen program runs in the menu, just start typing "cali" and she pops up.
I followed Sadlmkr's tweaks to make the calibration permanent and this little P3 is working great!
I know not many of you pull out your older machines often, but this is a nice operating system that is current that will work on the CF-28, cheers!
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#19 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I have not heard yet about the R9 release of WattOS: http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.ph ... t=next#new
which is switching from Debian to Ubuntu but...read the post above this which I edited last night. We have another winner operating system if you are still firing up your CF-28's...
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”