New to me MK5

Post all questions and information about the CF-19 in here.
starsea

New to me MK5

#1 Post by starsea »

I'm back! Picked up a CF-19 MK5. It was cheap but I see I have to change some things on it. The first thing I noticed is it has Windows 10 on it (500gb HD 16gb RAM). From what I read that might not be a good thing. I would like to keep it. The I noticed that there was a little clunk when you would turn it. I pulled the hard drive caddie out and the hard drive was flopping around in it. I put a couple of pieces of insulation foam in the caddie to keep the hard drive stable. It looked like it wasn't charging with the battery stuck on 67 percent. I compared the power supply to the CF-19. and the power supply only puts out 12 volts not 16. I guess the first thing to do is buy the proper power supply. I'm most like need another battery too. Tried to pull it out and it was stuck. Being new to the CF-19 I didn't know if it had a release somewhere so I didn't want to force it. Would the caddie and hard drive out of my CF-29 work in the CF-19? I guess I would need to get a CF-19 disk and redo the CF_29 hard drive if I went that route. But CF-29 does what it needs to do, besides what's wrong with more than one Toughbook. LOL
CF-29 MK4
CF-19 MK5

ADOR

Re: New to me MK5

#2 Post by ADOR »

A few screws from the CF-29 may work with the 19 but that is about it. All 29 models were IDE drives, all 19's are SATA.

The chassis is the same from the Mk3 19 up. Batteries from a 18 or 19 model will work. One of the newer bigger power bricks that are 7 or 8 amp will work best. You will just have to decide what OS you want on it. I still have 7 on mine, but I have 10 on my Mk6. Just drop a SSD upgrade in it and run with it.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

starsea

Re: New to me MK5

#3 Post by starsea »

Thanks for the info ADOR. The charger for the CF-29 got kind of hot and didn't seem to be charging it. Further reading I found that some people use ThinkPad charges. Luckily I have an old Thinkpad. The charger worked great. Appears that the battery is holding a charge too. I did buy a LIND charger for the truck for the boondocks. It appears to run okay with Win10 on it. Looks like someone used a cracker program to install it. Not sure if there isn't any miners or other evil things in it. And there isn't any Panasonic drivers on it. So yeah I might need to keep an eye out for a 1TB hard drive with a Win10 and the drivers. I did download the driver files for the MK5 and MK6 (or 7 whichever had Win 10 listed as an OS).
CF-29 MK4
CF-19 MK5

Return to “CF-19 Talk (Discontinued Model)”