CF-52 Boot problems HELP

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
apco25

CF-52 Boot problems HELP

#1 Post by apco25 »

Anyone, please see this thread I started over at notebook review.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... -help.html

I'm at a loss what to do now and need any assistance.

ADOR

Re: CF-52 Boot problems HELP

#2 Post by ADOR »

A lot of us there on NBR are here too. Are you still trying to boot it with the hard drive in it? Does it boot faster with the hard drive removed? Do you have another hard drive to test in the caddy?
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

apco25

#3 Post by apco25 »

I have done the following.

REMOVE ALL OF THE DEVICES:

Battery
DVD
WIFI
Fingerprint/Card Read
Hard Drive

I have tried disabling and or reinstalling those devices in device manager. I've force re-installed the ACHI/Chipset driver from Panasonic no difference in behavior.

Without the HD it never boots, just hangs on the blue Panasonic Splash screen. Press F2 for BIOS never appears. I got into the BIOS just once during this mess and disabled all booting from USB devices.

I believe there is some kind of POST failure going on.

If I insert the HD, it will boot in approximately 8-10 minutes into windows vista as if nothing is wrong. I do however get random USB connect/disconnect sounds while within Vista. The device manager display tree randomly refreshes when the USB noises start.

I don't get error beeps or msgs during boot up. Also the windows Vista splash screen never appears either.

I can sleep and hibernate without issues.

I do not have OEM restore disks for this and only this toughbook despite having them for my CF-29's and CF-30's. I'll have to order a a restore set.

I'll have to check if I have another HD/Caddy I can use. I dont' think I do.

Last idea is to try a restore point prior to yesterday.

:cussing:

apco25

#4 Post by apco25 »

How many IDE/ATA SATA channels should I have in device manger?

I'm showing:

ATA Channel 0 TWICE

then 1 thru 5

Then the ACHI Intel driver from Panasonic

and

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

apco25

#5 Post by apco25 »

I'm trying a system restore in a wild hope that will do something.

Something is clearly wrong with the chipset usb controller side of things. Coming out of sleep I get at least 10 connect/disconnect usb bonks.... If this doesn't work I'll wait for a OEM restore disk.

teo

#6 Post by teo »

Ok! Do this thing! all ad on hardware must be out of the unit and just leave one known good ram on the unit. Also check the ram slot for corrosion or something that is not suppose to be there. Same on the harddrive, PCMCIA connector, media bay connector, usb port and etc. for bended pin that may shorted to each other or whatever it may be. The causes of having a long boot is either with shorted line on the circuit. And if it totally shorted. It will not boot at all. Also when you can access to the bios, set the bios into factory default.

teo

apco25

#7 Post by apco25 »

Update from NBR forum.... I've restored to about two weeks ago. I've started to boot more reliably into the BIOS. I've disabled USB boot devices in BIOS and reset the rest of the BIOS to defaults. I have booted with all devices removed with the same results. I thought i might have had a bad ram stick, but I've had the same boot problem with one or both ram sticks inserted. I get 1 hang at the splash screen for every 4-5 normal boots.

I will check again for anything shorted out on the various connectors.

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”