Definitely OT VHF Radio Install..Ford F250

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
SHEEPMAN!

Definitely OT VHF Radio Install..Ford F250

#1 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Any of all you'all breached a firewall on a F-250?

I have a new :rofl: 1999 F-250 Gas that I could not resist.

My problem....what is a clean way to either breach the firewall or connect it inside (behind the dash)

Installing a 25 Watt fire radio.

I can tap or lose a cigarette lighter,, they are 20A but would like to keep them and go battery direct. Looks like it requires a 36 inch drill bit or an installer with the flexibility of a lizard.

The Motorola came with fuse protected #10? wiring harness but must go from engine room to cab in direction of install....it's all made up. The zarking engine is in the way.

So..how do the pro's do it?

If nothing else this will spark a little conversation.

Thanks folks,

J'd
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Azrial

Re: Definitely OT VHF Radio Install..Ford F250

#2 Post by Azrial »

I have run under the vehicle before and then up into the engine bay, but of course you want to keep your run as short as possible. Break out a long drill and then make the pilot hole bigger, I would run from the passenger side., hopefully the battery is on that side!
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

From the engine compartment look at firewall. Look for rubber plug with nothing passing thru. Put hole in rubber. Push wire thru. Usually near the steering col or brake master cyl.
Life will beat you into submission.

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

Also on the fuse pannel inside the truck there should be a few exta ports not used. I know at least one should be heavy duty. There will be one side there with power, the other side it won't have a wire, you can run your wire and put in a fuse, if you have the right push in connector it will click and lock right in. I know most of the older HD trucks have that.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

Option #2
remove passenger side kick panel
Find grommet / hole for antenna cable.
Push #10 wire thru same grommet.
Open door find wire
Feed wire up thru inner fender.

Sometimes it's easier to start at the inner fender and work towards the inside.

Toughbook

#6 Post by Toughbook »

Yeah.... I always looked for the gromets... If I could squeeze it through one of them... That's great... If not I would drill a hole, run it and use monkey sh!t to seal it.
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

teo

#7 Post by teo »

Can I join the conversation, Lol...Jef! Do you want the system to be always on or tap the system with the accessories? Its pretty easy if it is with the accessories. You can use the line of cigar. lighter circuit without eliminating it. I can give you a line sketch on how to do it in a simple way.

teo

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

Verify the amperage of the lighter circuit. Not all of them carry enough amperage to run a VHF radio transmitter.
I installed and maintained VHF radios in school buses and the occasional Windstar minivan for 20 years..

teo

#9 Post by teo »

Shawn! I know what you mean, the size of the cable. By theory it will be explained by a demand factor. of the circuit line.

teo

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Shawn wrote:From the engine compartment look at firewall. Look for rubber plug with nothing passing thru. Put hole in rubber. Push wire thru. Usually near the steering col or brake master cyl.
This ain't my first install. I can't see the firewall.....too many engine parts in the way. Need to bite the bullet and remove something.

Battery is on the passenger side.

Passenger side kick panel may be the route.

Lighter wiring is too light as you say.

Thanks.

I started this late in the day and was basically whining. :salute:
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”